Saturday, March 9, 2013

Jessica and my new found path

Over the past few years I have become increasing involved in the special needs community in Massachusetts. I have done a lot of volunteering in my town, and have recently moved on to more of a state level participation. I have found that this leap has been extremely rewarding.

  One of the highlights of the special needs community in Mass is the Federation for Children with Special Needs Visions of Community Conference. It is held every March in Boston. It is a wonderful event where parents and professionals come together and talk about every subject you can think of pertaining to our awesome kids. Mental health, insurance, bullying, technology - you name it, there is a workshop for it. It really is a community day. You can turn to the person to your right and meet another parent who "gets it". Or turn to your left and have an incredible networking opportunity.

This is my 4th year attending the conference, and my first time actually making it through the whole day. I attended all 3 workshops I signed up for. The conference runs from 8:15am-5pm, so this is an accomplishment.

On my drive home I was thinking about why this year was different for me. I came to the conclusion that I am truly ready to open myself up to everything this path has led me to. I am ready to take the next step. I am not just a bystander anymore. I am a changer. An informer. A trailblazer. All thanks to my beautiful daughter Jessica. Thank you my love. You rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment