Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jessica and her star

Jessica will not do homework. This is something that I have been struggling to try and get her to connect to. She absolutely hates to do any sort of writing, in school or at home. It is actually something the school has been really trying to work with her on. We are pretty confident she can do the work, but there is some sort of block that prohibits her from wanting to produce any written output.

Reading is obviously a big deal in 1st grade. I have tried so many different ways to get Jessica to "read". I have tried typing words into the computer (because we all know how much Jessica likes my laptop), I have tried writing words on a dry erase board, I have tried buying books about cats, dogs, etc., and I have tried any and every kind of reward system there is out there.

Here are the facts:
I have a child who won't write without a fight
I have a child who won't read (even though I know she can)

I was at Staples the other day, and saw that they had flashcards for sight words. They just happened to be next to the old school metallic stars. I got an idea. I would try to offer a star as a reward for going through the flashcards.

The flashcards sat on my kitchen table for a few days, because I was afraid to try another thing that she would not respond to.
I decided yesterday to just take them out, and have Jessica come to me. There were 216 words of varying levels.

I didn't make a big deal of it. We were sitting at the kitchen table, and I just opened the package and pulled out the first stack of cards. She started reading them out loud without me even asking.

That smart little girl read 176 of those 216 cards!!!!

It just proves to me that Jessica is truly capable of so many things. We just have to figure out a way to get her star to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment