Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jessica and her new sneakers

Jessica is a creature of habit. She craves structure and routine. And if you mess with her structure often times her day (and mine) will be negatively affected.

Jessica has a pair of pink shoes that she wears EVERY day. At this point, they aren't so pink anymore,more of like a brown-mauve color. I also am not sure whether or not they even fit her anymore.....but she continues to insist on wearing them every morning.

Last week I received a note from her school PT asking that Jessica wear sneakers on Wednesday and Friday. I instantly felt a pang of anxiety, because I knew this was going to be an issue.

On Monday I went out to the store, and I bought Jessica a pair of sneakers. I fought with myself over whether or not to buy her a pair with laces or not. I was hoping if I bought a pair with laces, this would prompt Jessica to finally learn how to tie her shoes.

I made the wrong choice.

She is absolutely crazy about which way the ties go, and making them even. I thought I would only be faced with the anxiety of switching shoes. That is definitely not the case. Now we spend precious time in the morning getting her laces just right. When does it get easier?

As a side note, Jessica did spice up this issue with her own Jessica-ness. She insists that she doesn't like her laces because they are too "noodley". Oh Jess...you make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment